Friday, February 11, 2011

Shape of things to come

I had an interesting and fun realization in A&P thursday, during a lecture break the teacher and the first three lab tables broke into a conversation about breast feeding. Stuff like this does not bother me, I've always been a very frank individual in what I will talk about, but I found myself sitting there thinking how surreal the situation was that I was surrounded by women I didn't know, having a conversation about breast feeding.


I don't often find myself in situations where my opinion is not needed or wanted, but I realized this is going to be the first of many such situations given that I am entering a female dominated profession. :)

The only input I really have into a conversation on this topic is with my wife, in as much as I will support her whatever decision she decides to make in regards to the feeind of our children.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

  1. As a guy in nursing you learn quickly when to interject words of wisdom, and when to shut up.

    At times your bravery will increase and you think you have something intelligent to say, then the second it leaves your mouth its too late, and you realize I should just go now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you'll find some instructors will cater their lectures to the class with assumptions of everyone being female nursing students even when there are males in the room. Sorry dude, that's the way it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the flip side you may find your opinions being solicited because you ARE male--that happens more than you might think.

    Don't ever think you don't have something to contribute just because you have a Y chromosome dangling between your legs.

    Press on brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All valid comments.

    Luckily I feel I've always been one to 'fit in' with the opposite sex, I didn't see this experience as a negative, more of a "Lightbulb" this is what you have to look forward to moment.

    Hopefully my desire to contribute to a conversation will be a strong suit, and not a negative in my nursing school future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last semester we had 1 guy in a class of 12-13...and one day the mamas in class started exchanging L&D stories on break. We found out real quick how to make him want to leave the room. Now, we threaten him with detailed stories if he doesn't behave ;-)

    Now we have 4 other guys in our class, and I think all us girls are thrilled to have that many boys in our group. Having the guys there adds a different side of things...I respect their points of view and think they'll be able to provide a different insight on certain topics. I just hope they know when to share their POV, and when to keep quiet and just observe...lol

    ReplyDelete