Monday, March 25, 2013

Getting a hang of this


I don't yet have a grade for my last test, but I feel like I’ve made great strides towards understanding nursing tests. I did about 200 practice questions before the test that really drilled into my thick head how closely you have to read these questions. 
Here is an example of what I mean.


A client has been admitted to the cardiac intensive care unit following an acute myocardial infarction. The nurse formulates the following nursing diagnosis: Acute pain, related to tissue damage, secondary to infarction, manifested by pallor, client report, and shallow, rapid breathing. Which of the following would be an example of a collaborative intervention? 
1. Provide a calm, quiet atmosphere in the client's room. 
2. Administer pain medication. 
3. Educate the client and family regarding treatment and therapies. 
4. Monitor for changes in the client's condition.


So in this case Acute pain defines the type of collaborative intervention you need. So the most appropriate intervention would be to administer pain meds, which require a dr’s order. It also happens to be the only collaborative intervention listed, so it’s relatively straightforward.  

Which of the following interventions appropriate for a client with Parkinson's disease who is working to improve fine motor skills would be considered a collaborative intervention? 
1. Provide assistance as needed with dressing and grooming.
2. Provide assistive devices and educate client to use grab bar and large handled utensils.
3. Make sure lighting and space are adequate for client.
4. Administer medications to improve muscle tone. 

This question however has two collaborative interventions, numbers 2 and 4. Obviously both can’t be correct, so I needed to identify the key word modifier that points to the correct answer. In the case above it’s “improve fine motor skills”.  Administering medications to improve muscle tone will not help with the improvement of fine motor skills. Therefore we’re left with the correct answer, number 2. 

I find it frustrating that it took me so many questions before I started to key in to what seems overwhelmingly obvious now that it’s all written out. Let’s hope my grasp of actual test questions is as good as I felt like it was today while taking the real test.

No comments:

Post a Comment