Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Isn't it amazing?

\rm CO_2 + H_2O \rightleftarrows H_2CO_3 \rightleftarrows HCO_3^- + H^+


The more time I spend in anatomy the more amazed I am with the human body. I am not a religious person. I hold to some pretty esoteric viewpoints when it comes to my beliefs on why we're here and where we're going. Those viewpoints don't exclude the existence of God, nor do they even attempt to disprove any modern religions. I simply don't hold to a dogmatic viewpoint.

From the beginning of A&P I, I was amazed at the beautiful complexity of the human body, specifically the microbiology behind how our body does what it does. The simple action of breathing, and eating a cheeseburger are so much more than what they appear to be. When broken down into their component parts all the way to the cellular level, it's amazingly complex.

It's almost a spiritual experience when you realize that there is no possible way that our coming to be was completely random.

We just finished the respiratory system, currently doing digestion and moving into urinary after that and I had the experience again that I had in A&P I with these last few chapters. The complex elegance of the Bicarbonate buffer system is just astounding.

I love this stuff!

2 comments:

  1. I am completely nonreligious altogether. However, you're right. The complexity at the cellular and molecular level of our bodies is pretty astounding. In MB we are studying the immune system and the horrible microbial diseases we could get at any moment if our immune system didn't perform. It's quite humbling to realize that our bodies do all this without us even being aware of it. Viruses are the most amazing thing in the world too. I guess our wonder and amazement should just show us that we are going into the right field of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed!

    Since I started this journey, I often wonder where I'd be today if I had gotten into the healthcare field 10 years ago.

    (Not that I'd want to give up my wife and wonderful children mind you)

    But if I could have them, and be 10 years into this career at 30, instead of just starting out? Totally.

    ReplyDelete